Ontario Parasport Games Legacy Fund
We challenged ourselves in 2019 to host the best Ontario Parasport Games yet. We were also quietly determined that our Games legacy would be the growth of opportunities and participants enjoying all the benefits of adaptive sport in Durham Region. For our Durham Region 2023 Ontario Parasport Games our legacy goals include growing and complementing our previous Games’ legacy initiatives.
Our 2023 Games legacy initiatives, include:
- A grant program to support youth from under-serviced families to participate in parasport, in partnership with Durham-based charity, Their Opportunity.
- Durham Adaptive Sport Collective (DASC) formed to grow adaptive sport.
- The Parasport School Grow It program, delivered in partnership with Abilities Centre and DASC, to provide instruction and equipment to schools.
- An adaptive sport festival hosted in Durham Region.
- Sledge Hockey accessibility upgrades at Iroquois Park Sports Centre.
- Improved cataloguing of adaptive sport available in Durham Region.
- A new fund to provide support for start-up and expanding community-based adaptive sport organizations.